Radon

What is it?

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas formed from the decay of Uranium. Uranium is a common element found in the soil, rock and groundwater under and around Canadian homes. Once released from the soil, Radon mixes with the air we breath. In confined spaces, like basements, a high concentration can be deadly.

Radon is odourless, colourless and tasteless, making it impossible to detect without the proper equipment.

Is it harmful?

Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in Canada, killing more than 3,200 Canadians every year. Smokers are especially at risk, with 1 out of 3 likely to develop cancer if exposed to the gas. While any amount of Radon may be harmful to you and your family, at concentrations below Health Canada's guideline level (200 Bq/m3) the risks are limited.

Am I at risk?

Between 2009 and 2010, Heath Canada conducted a nation-wide survey to find out just how many Canadians are affected by Radon. The results show that over 7% of Canadians and a staggering 20% of New Brunswickers live with dangerous levels of the gas.

What can I do?

The good news is that Radon is an easy problem to fix. Find out HOW WE MAKE YOUR HOME SAFE.

Resources